What a colourful Autumn!
I don’t know about you but at this time of year with the gorgeously colourful leaves gently drifting off the trees, I am quite happy snuggled up indoors. I have the fire lit, the duvet over me and a nice hot cuppa in my hand. The other way that I keep warm is to cuddle up with Stanley. Well who wouldn’t want to cuddle up with this boy?
Them ‘oomans fink they is bein’ clever usin’ me as a hottie bottle. I carnt fink of no betta way to get cuddles, can you?
It is of course a great time to be thinking about those lovely warm holidays next year so please sort your dates and book in your home from home pet care for your dog with their favourite host.
We’ve had a very busy summer with lots of dogs going out to our lovely hosts. Lots of cuddles were shared and tears shed when it was time for the dogs to go home. Our hosts love welcoming your dogs into their lives. We also attended many shows during the summer where we got to meet some lovely dogs and their owners. It is always good fun watching the dog shows at these events, especially when the classes are fun such as 7 legged race or the sausage catching. Also pictured is another special dog, Boris. He has been with me since I have owned Barking Mad Exeter, Mid and East Devon and comes to all the shows.
Also during the summer I have been to a canine first aid course. It was a really interesting day where I learned a great deal but also met up with some like minded people who offer other services such as dog walking.
And finally . . .
Dog of the Month
Our wonderful dog of the month is Ozzy. He is an Airedale. He is very chilled and loves lots of cuddles.
Welcome to Summer!
What a clever boy!
What a fantastic way to prepare for Summer. Our boy Stanley entered an online competition and won a BBQ. We have come to an agreement that we will do the cooking and he will do the eating. His favourite BBQ food - spicy burgers. Well done Stanley.
Them ‘oomans ‘ave told me I is a clever boy. They just don’t unnerstand how clever. Not ony ‘ave I gon n wun but I is gittin them to cook for me too! Now that really is a clever boy!
The show season has begun. We have already been to Uffculme and Budleigh Salterton. Come and see us at the following shows. Bring your dogs too, it is always great to see you and have a catch up.
* 4th June, Seaton Tramway Fun Day and Dog Show from 10.30am at the Colyton Station.
* 11th June, Offwell Dog Show from 11am on the Playing Field.
* 24th June, Broadclyst Fun Day and Family Dog Show from 11am to 5pm with the dog show starting at 1.30pm.
* 9th July, Cullompton Dog Show from 11am on The Community Grounds.
* 23rd July, Munchkins Miniature Shetland Rescue Summer Fair and Open Day from 11am at Munchkins Barn, Sidmouth Road, Colyton
* 29th July, Kilmington Village Fair from 1pm at rear of Village Hall
* 28th August, Hawkchurch Fete from 2pm on the Playing Field
* 2nd September, Chardstock Street Fayre from 11am to 5pm
We are on TV
For those of you that haven't seen it yet, Barking Mad is now on TV! During June you may see the advert on Really, More4, Home, Good Food and Drama on C4, ITV Encore, ITV breakfast, ITV2, ITVBe and ITV3 on ITV and TLC, True Movies, E!, Lifetime, Sky Living and Sky Atlantic on Sky.These adverts are on anywhere between 10 - 5.30pm. If you email or text me with how many dog ornaments you can see in the advert and where they are, I will give you a free day on bookings of five days or more.
And finally I would like to say a great big thank you to all my customers and hosts. At this year's national conference we won an award - Most Improved Business. This would not have been possible without all of you amazing people. Thank you.
Dog of the Month
Holly is a lively, fun loving Jack Russell. She has boundless energy and loves nothing better than playing ball. She has been out on several holidays now and has two different hosts who love having her come to stay.
In October we had a host gathering. Eight hosts came to the event where we went on one of the walks that the host who was ‘hosting’ the event uses as her most local walk. It had a bit of everything – flat, hills, trees, water, mud! Afterwards we gathered in her garden where we enjoyed a bring and share lunch. Everyone that attended agreed that it was definitely a big success and wanted to do more of the same next year.
We also marshalled at a sponsored walk in aid of the local Hospice day care unit. Barking Mad Exeter, Mid and East Devon donated a doggy hamper containing, treats, toys, bowls and a hand made woolly dog jumper to the draw. The event attracted over 300 people.
Dog of the Month
We are proud to introduce Gazza. He is the most adorable, soft, friendly Boxer you could ever wish to meet. He loves walking (and sleeping). Sam and Dave, Gazza's hosts love him to bits. He is never short of a cuddle or two.
Just a little reminder, we wear shoes so don't think about how hot the pavements get but dogs are walking on this in bare feet so please do the 7 second test and check that it is not too hot for your dog.
FREE! FREE! FREE!
Remember folks, if you recommend Barking Mad to a friend and they come on board as a customer or a host, that is a free day that you have earned for your dog to go on holiday. So what are you waiting for, the more you recommend us, the more we give back to you. Also the more your dog goes on holiday with Barking Mad, the more stamps on the loyalty card. When your card is full your dog gets a FREE day.
Win a Balloon Flight
Go onto the main Barking Mad website
and enter the competition for your chance to win a Champagne
Stanley 'ere . . .
Well, wot can I say. They ony went and
gone and dun it di'unt they. We all had a
fab day and I woz a very gud boy. I
walked up the isle VERY politely.
Everywun wanted to give me fuss which I
didn't mind at all!
Oh they want me to tell you that my dad
Paul is now working with my mum so you
may get to meet him soon.
Happy New Year!
Hello, hope you all had a great Christmas and a wonderful start to the New Year. I personally have been lulled by the weather, thinking that we were going to stay warm throughout the Winter. How wrong was I! The cold has definitely arrived. But it does mean that now is a good time to plan your holidays for the year. Warm places with plently of sun. Our own country doesn't do too badly in the Summer. With this in mind remember that you need to book your dog's holiday too. The earlier that you book the more chance that your dog will be able to stay with your prefered choice of hosts.
Oh, just a little reminder. When you book your dog in to be hosted we do ask for your deposit to be paid within 10 days from the contract to ensure that you have secured the host that you have asked for. Thank you
And Finally, a message from Stanley:
Hello Ev'rywun, Stanley here. It feels like such a long time since I have spoken to you. We had a great Christmas. I got toys and treats and ev'ryfing. I am a well happy boy. To celebrate how good I am feelin', I wanted to do somefing to help you feel good too. So, I am goin to slip a dice into Mum's bag. At the end of every holiday you can shake the dice and you get that many extra loyalty points. I s'pose I should tell Mum so that she knows! Byes for now X
So what has been happening in the world of Barking Mad Exeter, Mid and East Devon? We went out to three shows, K9focus at Heavitree Park, Canine Capers at Escot and we also visited Branscombe Harvest Fair. They were all great shows but I particularly enjoyed Branscombe’s Harvest Fair as I used to live there and it was great to be able to catch up with so many people.
Stanley here . . . sorry I just had to jump in to say “I went to my first show, I woz at Branscombe Harvest Fair and it woz briwyant”.
Thank you Stanley. And as I woz (oops) was saying, the stand is now tip top, all colour coordinated, with lots of clear information about both having your dog looked after and becoming a host.
“Look, Look, there I am, that’s me that is!”
Keep looking out for us as we will be at several shows in 2016!
Our other really exciting news was that we took part in Honiton Carnival. It was a great night, dry thankfully. We had the car in the procession with 8 ‘dogs’ dancing along behind to the tune of ‘who let the dogs out!’ It was great fun and we came third in our class.
“Well I don’t think that was as good as Branscombe Fair as I wasn’t in it!”
Finally, just a reminder that any holidays booked during November for dates from now until the end of 2016 will only be charged half price transportation. So dispel the winter blues and get thinking about those wonderful Summer Holidays!
We love working with and recommending local business, here are a list of fantastic people we think you might like to hear about:
• Rosary House, 27 Fore Street, Exeter, EX1 2QJ Tel: 01392 250066
• 12 Lovelace Gardens, Alphington, Exeter, EX2 8XQ Tel: 01392 493999
• 101 Buddle Lane, St Thomas, Exeter, EX4 1QS Tel: 01392 250000
• 46 Whipton Village Road, Exeter, EX4 8AW Tel: 01392 465553
St Davids Veterinary Group
• St Davids Station, Exeter, EX4 4NT Tel: 01392 271221
This branch has hospital facilities on site. They also house the EVES (Exeter Veterinary Emergency Services) provision. This provides out of hours emergency cover for a lot of vet practices around Devon
• St Davids Veterinary Clinic, Station Road,Topsham, EX3 0DS Tel: 01392 876171
• St Davids Veterinary Clinic, Shell House, Dawlish Road, Exminster, EX6 8AA
Tel: 01392 422898
Cranbrook Veterinary Centre
• London Road, Rockbeare, Exeter EX5 2ED Tel: 01404 823423
Bay Vet Group
• Hospital Hill, Dawlish, EX7 9NS Tel: 01626 862020
This branch has hospital facilities on site.
Radenstiles Veterinary Surgery
• Liverton Business Park, Salterton Road, Exmouth, EX8 2NR Tel: 01395 264747
• Church Street, Sidford, Sidmouth, EX10 9RL Tel: 01395 514255
Corner House Vets
• 7 Station Road, Budleigh Salterton, EX9 6RH Tel: 01395 442211
• 84 Withycombe Village Road, Exmouth, EX8 3AG Tel: 01395 27777
Ikin and Oxenham Vets
• Otter Veterinary Clinic, 64 Mill Street, Ottery St Mary, EX11 1AF Tel: 01404 814322
• The Surgery, Chandlers Lane, Sidmouth, EX10 9BX Tel: 01395 512611
• Manor Road, Seaton, EX12 2AQ Tel: 01297 24896
• Coombe Lane, Axminster, EX13 5AX Tel: 01297 630500
This branch has hospital facilities
(They also cover postcode EX24)
New Street Vets
• 62 New Street, Honiton, EX14 1BZ Tel: 01404 42750
• Unit 1c Station Road Industrial Estate, Hemyock, EX15 3SE Tel: 01823 681067
The Vale Vets
• Duchy Road, Honiton, EX14 1YD Tel: 01404 44095
• College Road, Cullompton, EX15 1TG Tel: 01884 35558/32228
• 7 Fore Street, Uffculme, EX15 3AN Tel: 01884 841317
• The Laurels, Tiverton, EX16 4LF Tel: 01884 258585/253355
St Boniface Veterinary Clinic
• Exeter Road, Crediton, EX17 3BN Tel: 01363 772860
• Groomed to Pawfection, 38 High Street, Crediton, EX17 3JP Tel: 01363 777113
• Posh Paws by Petra, 68 Fore Street, Exeter, EX1 2RR Tel: 01392 491122
• Living to Pawfection, 38 High Street, Crediton, EX17 3JP Tel: 01363 777113
• Cully Pet Shop, 31 Fore Street, Cullompton, EX15 1JS Tel: 01884 32751
Doggy Day Care
• A Dog’s Day Out Exeter, 12 Greendale Business Park, Woodbury Salterton, EX5 1EL Tel: 01395 488282
• Home for Hounds, No 8. The Space Place, AlphinBrook Road, Marsh Barton, Exeter EX2 8RG Tel: 07929 216 856
- Park Life Honiton - Jude
Tel: 07427 500766
Park Life operate in and around Honiton, Payhembury and Awliscombe. There is a mileage charge for over two miles from Honiton. Our Pet Sitting service extends to other pets too (cat and small animals)
- Devon’s Perfect Paws – Jo and Ronni
Tel: 07894 662816 or 07701 080503
Devon’s Perfect Paws work from Bradninch where they have an acre of secure exercise space and access to 50+ acres of private countryside including pasture and woodlands.
• Honiton Dogs
Meet every Monday evening at the Mackarness Hall, Honiton (next to St Pauls Church in the high street). Classes start from 6pm. For more information look at the Facebook Page – Honiton Dogs
Dog Accessories and Supplies
• Boots and Bones – www.bootsandbones.co.uk
For designer collars and leads
• Oscars Pet Foods – www.oscars.co.uk
A pet food home delivery service providing a comprehensive range of products to suit all breeds and lifestyles.
Dog Friendly Pubs and Cafes
• The Sidmouth Arms, Upottery, EX14 9NP
• Double Locks Pub, Canal Banks, Exeter, Devon. EX2 6LT Tel 01392 256947 Very dog friendly pub with huge garden next to the beautiful Exeter canal, dogs welcome all year round, both inside and out. www.doublelocks.com
. Odle Farm Holiday Cottages, New Road, Upottery, EX14 9QE http://www.odlefarm.co.uk/
• Our Local Expert – www.ourlocalexpert.co.uk
Local Businesses recommended by YOU! - For trustworthy tradespeople, quality local food and much more, you can rely on Our Local Expert - THE place to find an expert in Exeter and East Devon.
• Grazing Cow - A35, Offwell, nr Honiton, EX14 9RR Tel: 01404 831114
Lovely café for light lunches and a great place to chat.
Outdoor seating in the Summer where it will be dog friendly
• The Rowan Tree – 7 Fore Street, Budleigh Salterton, EX9 6NG
Whether you’re shopping for a friend, a colleague, a loved one or yourself, The Rowan Tree has the perfect gift for you. They have a carefully selected range of gifts for men and women, many of which are unique to The Rowan Tree.
• Bowmers – 7 High Street, Budleigh Salterton, EX9 6LD Lunch time and evening menus for that certain something special.