Based upon nearly 20 years of experience in the industry, we have put together our ultimate guide to dog sitting. As real dog lovers ourselves, we truly understand how difficult it can be to leave your dog when you have to go away. We would love to help and answer any questions you may have.
What is dog sitting?
Dog sitting, also known as home dog boarding, is an alternative to kennels. Companies such as Barking Mad Dog Care offer a one to one service, where your dog can stay in a home environment and receive the love and attention which they are accustomed to. The service offered varies considerably by provider and you should always ensure that you trust the sitter to take the very best care of your four legged friend.
Why should you consider using a dog sitter?
If your dog lives in a family home and follows a regular daily routine, it can be hard for them to adjust to life in a kennel environment. Dog sitting offers the peace of mind that your beloved pet is being cared for just as they would at home. Dogs live for the moment and settle well in a home from home setting. Receiving individual love and attention from experienced host dog sitters means that they are happy and contented.
Using a dog sitter is also an alternative to having to impose on family or friends. It can be tempting to ask someone to look after your dog on an informal basis but this is not without its problems. Professional dog sitters are insured, have lots of experience and have robust procedures in case of emergencies or illness.
The benefits of using a dog sitter
- Your dog won’t be confined or suffer kennel stress
- Dog routines will be followed and there will be continuity of training
- There is less exposure to the risk of illness or infection than in a kennel environment
- Your dog will receive individual human attention, walks and trips out
- You can go away with peace of mind, knowing that your dog has all the home comforts they are accustomed to
How to choose the right dog sitter
You may have searched for ‘dog sitting services near me’ online and been overwhelmed by the results. Dog sitting prices vary and finding just the right care for your dog can be a difficult decision. We would advise:
- Asking family and friends for personal recommendations
- Conducting online research such as reading reviews
- Looking for signs of quality e.g training, robust emergency procedures etc.
- Meeting the dog sitting professional in person
- Considering your dog’s specific requirements
- Investigating availability for your chosen dates
- Considering whether you feel that the dog sitter can offer you peace of mind
Why not check out our article about ‘5 Steps to Finding a Dog Sitter You can Trust‘?
Finding a dog sitter local to you
It is important to choose a dog sitter who you trust to take the very best care of your four legged friend. Some areas will have more dog care options than others, however, remember to choose the best one for your pet’s individual requirements. Barking Mad has over 80 branches throughout England, Scotland and Wales. Why not find your nearest branch today?
What does my dog need to take when staying with a dog sitter?
- vaccination records
- emergency contact details/ vet details
- a bed
- their usual food with a measuring cup
- collar and lead/harness
- waste bags
- a grooming kit
- where necessary: any medication/a coat/a crate
Could I start a dog sitting business?
If you are dreaming about becoming a dog sitter as a career, we could help you to start your own Barking Mad franchise business! Why not become part of the UK’s leading dog sitting brand, whilst still being your own boss? If you are feeling unfulfilled at work or would simply love to work with dogs and dog lovers, this could be just the opportunity you have been looking for! Why not download our prospectus today and find out how you could make a flexible, home-based career doing something you love a reality?